Biter biscuits
So Emma is eating a lot more "big-girl" food these days. I've made her two dinner recipes with orzo (small pasta shapes, almost rice-looking) and other little chunks of veggies and meat. She's liked them both! I think they taste good, too. One was Tomato Pasta with Tuna and Cheese Sauce (I don't even like tuna and this one tasted really good) and the other was Pasta with Veggies and Cheese (broccoli, carrots, zucchini). She likes eating the "grown-up" food a lot more than spoonfuls of her purees. She's getting bored with the purees, I think. I scatter little bits and pieces of food on her high chair tray during mealtime and she is quiet and focused, as she works her little fingers to pick up the food and get it into her mouth.
I recently found these "biter biscuits" (sounds like they're for dogs, huh?) that Gerber makes and I picked some up. They're hard little cookie/cracker things that Emma loves to gum and chew on. They don't crumble or break apart easily but they do make a huge sticky mess on my sweet little girl's face (gives a whole different meaning to the word "sweet"). These aren't organic and though I haven't looked at the ingredients yet, I'm sure they're sugary. So Emma only gets half of one every now and then.
The first time she started eating one, we were at my parents' house. She had barely started gumming it up when I looked away for a minute. The next time I looked back, her hands were empty.She must have dropped it, I thought.
I searched down by her legs in the high chair seat.
Nothing.
I searched on the ground beneath her.
Nothing.
Then I heard my parents' crazy dog Sofie (who is our dog Bailey's sister) crunching and smacking her jaws.
Despite the barricade we had made to keep the dogs out of the kitchen (Sofie licks Emma nonstop and gets a little too excited around her), Sofie had snuck her little nose around the blockade and stolen the BRAND NEW cracker/cookie right out of Emma's hands! Emma probably got a huge kick out of it. She likes to let Sofie lick her hands (shudder). Emma will hang her arms over the sides of the high chair to "pet" the doggie and Sofie will lick and lick and lick. So I'm sure when Emma put her hands over the edge, Sofie thought it was a free invitation to eat the treat the sticky little hands were holding on to.
Yum, yum biter biscuits. Another new experience for our baby girl. Looks like a happy one, huh?Also, check out my other blog for pictures of the little munchkin pulling herself up onto her knees. She's pulling herself up all the time now and it is SO CUTE (and no, I'm not partial).


Comments
Ingredients:
1 beaten egg yolk
3 Tbsp maple syrup or molasses (May be omitted)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp uncooked oatmeal
1 cup flour (white, wheat or combo)
1 Tbsp soy flour
1 Tbsp wheat germ
1 Tbsp nonfat dry milk.
Directions:
Blend wet ingredients, add dry ingredients. Dough will be stiff. Roll dough thin and cut into strips or desired shapes.
Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 15 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet.
These can be made without the last 3 ingredients, but they add to the
nutritional value. **Freezes Well**
This came from a book I used to use...there were a lot less options when O was a baby than there is now....I used to make most of the baby food for use at home. If Emma does not like them they will make good dog biscuits for Bailey :)