New phobia ...
Ew. Ew. Ew.
We have been feasting on blueberries the past week because we got some HUGE bags of them from Mossy Rock near Morton when we were visiting last weekend. I literally have been eating them multiple times a day and have been proud of how healthy we are ... eating one of the best berries. They've been delicious.
Until tonight, when I was packing some food for James' lunch tomorrow. I wash all the berries and decided to wash myself a small bowl to snack on before bed. AFTER I washed them all and put them in a bowl for me, I walked across the kitchen to get a new roll of paper towels and came back to my bowl of berries to see a MAGGOT CRAWLING OVER ONE OF THE BERRIES! SICK. Seriously, seriously sick.
I obviously threw that berry out (down the garbage disposal for sure) and went through every single berry in my bowl and also in the ziplock baggie I'd packed for James. Only one other berry had this whitish tip to it that looked funny. So I put the bag of berries back with James' sandwich (a chicken salad sandwich, by the way) and brought my bowl upstairs so I could nibble while I watched a little of the Olympics (how on earth is Michael Phelps so FAST?).
Because I'm paranoid and extremely squeamish around bugs and anything unclean, I had to Google maggots + blueberries. Did you know there's actually a BLUEBERRY MAGGOT? The things burrow their eggs INSIDE the berry and grow there, feasting on the yummy insides of the berry. Then, around mid-August, the MAGGOTS (read: NASTY, squirming, white WORMS) come out of the blueberries to drop into the soil and turn into flies (I am NOT an expert on this and I'm sure there is some term better than "turn into flies" describing their metamorphosis or whatever it is they go through but I don't care).
Have you heard of these? What happens if one ingests one of these things inside a berry? Anything? Do I need to worry about us having blueberry maggots growing inside our stomachs? I know I sound like an idiot asking these questions but I am so grossed out.
We are going to the farmer's market this weekend to get a new batch of berries (and lots of other yummy produce).
Oh, and James actually LIKES the chicken salad (see last two previous posts for description of this). He texted me today and "Chicken salad sammie is good." I called him to find out if he was just saying it was edible or if he meant that he LIKED it and enjoyed eating it. He said he'd eat it every day if I made it for him. It wasn't his favorite thing to eat but he enjoyed it. COOL!
Now if I can just get the nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty (yes, that many nasties) blueberries out of my fridge, I will feel much better. First thing in the a.m. they are GONE.
Now off to a few minutes of gymnastics. (Isn't Shawn Johnson the absolute cutest little amazing athlete you've ever seen? Does anyone remember Kim Zmeskal? Shawn reminds me of her, though I'm not sure why).
We have been feasting on blueberries the past week because we got some HUGE bags of them from Mossy Rock near Morton when we were visiting last weekend. I literally have been eating them multiple times a day and have been proud of how healthy we are ... eating one of the best berries. They've been delicious.
Until tonight, when I was packing some food for James' lunch tomorrow. I wash all the berries and decided to wash myself a small bowl to snack on before bed. AFTER I washed them all and put them in a bowl for me, I walked across the kitchen to get a new roll of paper towels and came back to my bowl of berries to see a MAGGOT CRAWLING OVER ONE OF THE BERRIES! SICK. Seriously, seriously sick.
I obviously threw that berry out (down the garbage disposal for sure) and went through every single berry in my bowl and also in the ziplock baggie I'd packed for James. Only one other berry had this whitish tip to it that looked funny. So I put the bag of berries back with James' sandwich (a chicken salad sandwich, by the way) and brought my bowl upstairs so I could nibble while I watched a little of the Olympics (how on earth is Michael Phelps so FAST?).
Because I'm paranoid and extremely squeamish around bugs and anything unclean, I had to Google maggots + blueberries. Did you know there's actually a BLUEBERRY MAGGOT? The things burrow their eggs INSIDE the berry and grow there, feasting on the yummy insides of the berry. Then, around mid-August, the MAGGOTS (read: NASTY, squirming, white WORMS) come out of the blueberries to drop into the soil and turn into flies (I am NOT an expert on this and I'm sure there is some term better than "turn into flies" describing their metamorphosis or whatever it is they go through but I don't care).
Have you heard of these? What happens if one ingests one of these things inside a berry? Anything? Do I need to worry about us having blueberry maggots growing inside our stomachs? I know I sound like an idiot asking these questions but I am so grossed out.
We are going to the farmer's market this weekend to get a new batch of berries (and lots of other yummy produce).
Oh, and James actually LIKES the chicken salad (see last two previous posts for description of this). He texted me today and "Chicken salad sammie is good." I called him to find out if he was just saying it was edible or if he meant that he LIKED it and enjoyed eating it. He said he'd eat it every day if I made it for him. It wasn't his favorite thing to eat but he enjoyed it. COOL!
Now if I can just get the nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty (yes, that many nasties) blueberries out of my fridge, I will feel much better. First thing in the a.m. they are GONE.
Now off to a few minutes of gymnastics. (Isn't Shawn Johnson the absolute cutest little amazing athlete you've ever seen? Does anyone remember Kim Zmeskal? Shawn reminds me of her, though I'm not sure why).

Comments
And yes, Shawn Johnson IS the cutest thing in USAG! Michael Phelps is a wonder in the pool. Jess and I were talking last night about when are they going to reach that point when it's just impossible to swim any faster? There's got to be a limit to the human body. In another hundred years are we going to be swimming so fast time goes backward? Really....