Taking our vitamins
So I'm proud of myself. I'm just going to brag a bit and I'm going to talk about breastfeeding so if you're not interested in hearing me toot my own horn OR talk about nursing, then just look at the cute pictures here and skip the narrative, 'kay?I have nursed Emma exclusively for 3.5 months now. I love it. I am so proud of both of us for sticking with it and teaching each other how it's done. We are pros now. It is amazing and wonderful and let's just say: I. LOVE. US.
Sidenote (or the real reason for this blog): At Emma's 2-month appointment with Dr. Moore back in March, he told us we needed to give her Vitamin D supplements. I had no idea that babies who are exclusively breastfed needed any type of supplement -- I had always thought that one of the main purposes of breastfeeding was that babies got everything they needed (exactly what they needed) from their moms' milk. Well, apparently our society in general has a Vitamin D deficiency (especially those of us who live in not-so-sunny areas).
So...Dr. Moore recommended Tri-Vi-Sol, some over-the-counter vitamin drops, to ensure that she gets the Vitamin D she needs to grow. I give these to Emma every day and it is truly one of the highlights of my day. She is SUCH a good sport. She takes the drops like a champ, even though they clearly do not taste so good.
I smelled them (did not taste ... do you think I want to waste my baby's vitamins?) and they have that SICKLY nasty sweet cherry smell that makers of baby medicines think helps trick kids into swallowing their daily doses. YUCK. Why does a baby vitamin supplement need such a strong flavor? Poor kid.
James caught Emma in mid-gag. She doesn't ever complain or get upset when she takes her vitamins, just looks at us like, "Sorry Mom, but this meal you made really does NOT taste very good. What the heck is this stuff? I'll try to choke it down this time, just because I love you."



Comments