WHOA!

Cause for celebration for two reasons:

1. I'm wearing my wedding ring on my left ring finger and not 1) around my neck or 2) on my left pinkie finger. True, it's a little snug and I'm worried about being able to take it off again but it just slipped right on so easily while I was washing dishes this afternoon. Hallelujah. I still have about 20 pounds I want to drop (argh) but getting this beautiful ring back on my finger feels awesome!

2. I hesitate to even share this news because it seems whenever I say something like this I jinx it and all of a sudden the peace is shattered by a tiny baby's adorable cry. Even so...I am proud of our little girl and I have to share. This morning, after Emma had a GREAT hour or so of talking, cooing and smiling with Mommy, I decided to try out what I kept reading in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (a book I LOVE). I rocked Emma for a few minutes in the glider in the nursery until her eyes got droopy and she showed signs of drowsiness. Then...while she was still half-awake, I put her down in her crib and left her alone. She only lasted 17 minutes but in those 17 minutes, she was quiet and peaceful all by herself in her own crib!

Then, about 24 minutes ago, I did the same thing. This may sound trivial to other moms of babies but for us this is a big milestone. Emma does NOT nap by herself during the day, which leads to a Mommy who is CONSTANTLY holding her, rocking her, soothing her, talking to her, trying to make lunch/do laundry/check email with one hand, etc.

Ugh...and now Emma's fussing. She made it nearly a half hour! Baby steps, right? I'm going to keep trying this and with God's help (because I prayed the entire 17 minutes this morning that He would give her peace and rest and help her feel comforted enough to nap well) I know one of these days she'll make it a good solid nap. At least for now, she's just getting used to her room and her own crib, right?

Good work, Emma-noo. We love you and are proud of all you've accomplished in these 5 short weeks since you came into the world. You came back from 10 scary days in the NICU and are doing so well. You're a great nurser, an adorable snuggler, an awesome actress with many expressions and so beautiful.

Owww...not sure the ring is coming off. My finger is a little purple...is that normal?

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL Too funny! And way to go Emma! We all have to rejoice in the little things, whether it's finally going down for a nap or than when Mommy and Daddy say "no, don't beat your blocks on the tv" really means "no, don't beat your blocks on the tv"

HAHA

Popular Posts