Giddy

We're getting our carpets cleaned today. Can I please tell you how giddy with excitement I am about that?

(If you were my husband, you would say, "You just did." And then I would say, "No I didn't. I told you I wanted to tell you HOW excited I am." And then we'd go back and forth with some annoying -- but sometimes cute -- semantics game. Playing word games with a professional -- and extremely successful -- lobbyist? Not an enjoyable pastime. Playing word games with a professional lobbyist who's also your husband? Feels really great when you end up being right but really, REALLY irritating when the conversation just goes around and around in circles all afternoon.)

I think the word you're all looking for is, "Anyway ..."

Yes, I am giddy. I've been waiting since MAY for these great people to come out to clean our house and finally we got a call and they're coming today! Clean carpets. Steam-cleaned carpets. Without any unsafe chemicals that could stink or make us dizzy or worse.

And just because I want to be SURE that our carpets stay clean as long as possible (like, until next year when we're SO doing this again) I found some tips on how to clean out common carpet stains:

Mud (this is our biggest culprit): Rub salt on the mud. Let it rest for an hour, then vacuum.
Coffee (this is our second biggest culprit): Rub club soda into the spot. Clean up with a sponge.
Red wine: Cover stain with salt while wet. Let dry completely, then vacuum.
Chocolate: Mix Borax and water to make a paste. Rub into stain.
Grease: Cover with cornstarch or cornmeal, let sit awhile, rub in and vacuum.
For a heavy duty carpet cleanser take 1/4 cup each of salt, borax and vinegar and mix to form a paste, then rub onto carpet. Follow by vacuuming the spot thoroughly.

Plus, I also always remember the instructions my dear mother gave to me: Never scrub a stain, just dab or blot it out.

I'm giddy. I have to get the living room all cleared of furniture while Emma is napping and before Don (the carpet cleaner) gets here. I already cleared out the family room!

I think we're going to have a shoes-free house after today. If you come over, please leave your shoes at the door (a lot of people do anyway, without us even asking, which I think is so sweet!). Who knows how long the no-shoes thing will last? James thinks it will last less than a week. I hope he's wrong though (see above comments about arguing with a professional lobbyist) because I want our carpets to stay fresh and clean!

Hmmm ... I need to find some house slippers to put on the dog's feet after she comes inside. Or put some rain shoes on her paws whenever she goes outside.

Comments

Christel said…
Who are you using to clean your carpets? We need it in the worst way - professionally done that is. We clean them on our own, but there is something to be said about having professionals do it.

Popular Posts