Long time, no write

Well, here I am ... feeling the call to write down our memories yet again. I have gone back and forth 100 times on whether or not to shut this blog down or keep it up. Truth be told, it bugs me that I don't always have time to record EVERYTHING or to make this blog pretty and up-to-date with images, a fun but tasteful background and lots of witty stories. But I've decided that I'm done trying to be perfect with everything and that what really matters is recording our story, even if that means only in words and not necessarily funny or beautifully-written installments.

I just spent 15 minutes scrolling back through the posts on this blog and was flooded with memories. I LOVE how much I used to write about my pregnancies with Emma and Kasey and about the two of them when they were newborns. I recorded details of those special times in our lives that I'd ALREADY forgotten ... and reading back through them was so awesome. I've really been in a memory-keeping, milestone- and memory-recording kind of mindset recently. I just sent 260 photos from our wedding to the printer so I can FINALLY work on our wedding scrapbook (and I have several hundred other photos in a huge clear tub, along with other tidbits and memorabilia, ready to be made into a "pre-wedding preparation" album as well). And don't even get me started on the kids' books. Neither of them have a scrapbook yet but they both have several boxes of memories just waiting to be organized in a pretty book. (Incidentally, I did complete pretty detailed baby books for each of them, so it's not like I've done NOTHING by way of memory-keeping in the past three years.) :)

Anyway, so here I am. I'm going to continue writing on this thing. My kids do too many cute things for me not to want to share regularly. You may not see a well-designed blog here for now, or lots of pretty pictures (go to our business blog or "Like" Amanda Kay Photography on Facebook to see those!), but you can still read up on the lives of James, Mandy, Emma and Kasey if you keep visiting this little Blogspot!

On the records for today ... this weekend, I came downstairs in the morning and had my long hair tucked into my hooded sweatshirt so it looked like it was around shoulder-length (my hair actually goes past the middle of my back now). Before saying good morning to me, my sweet daughter looked up at me and said, "What happened to your hair, Mom?" I asked her what she meant. She said, "What happened to your hair? Did you cut it in half?"

Also, we've finally joined the ranks of the rest of the families in the 21st century. Thanks to a nice tax return this year, we splurged and got ourselves a 47" LCD flat-screen TV. Woo-hoo! James and I have been together for nearly 13 years and we realized this weekend that we've had the same TV sets the entire time we've been together. And they've all been hand-me-downs. We've had the same box TV in our family room and in our bedroom since we moved in together (in 2000). Both box TVs served us so well and we've been grateful for their service ... but I have to admit, this new flat-screen is so cool! We're also thankful that we've got an entertainment unit on loan from James' brother Jeremiah. We didn't have anything to put the new TV on (the old box TV fit into a small entertainment unit that had a space made just for box TVs) and Miah offered to let us borrow it until James started building our custom shelving for the family room later this summer (his next big project after the backyard is complete).

And ... we totally cleared out and organized our office space. Hallelujah! The fourth bedroom first was exclusively James' office. Then it was a guest room AND James' office. Then we got rid of the bed and turned it into James' office AND my office. And now ... it's still an office area for both of us but now it is purposeful and organized and oh, so glorious. I haven't painted or decorated it yet but I love that everything has a place and everything is IN its place. And I know what is in every box and container and that means our things are going to be USED instead of just forgotten, lost or ignored. We've done a really good job this year of paring down all the junk we've collected over the years. We've taken three pretty big loads of books to sell at Half-Price Books. I've made several pretty hefty trips to Goodwill. And we've returned a lot of items we've borrowed from friends and family. We've still got a long ways to go but I'm proud of where we've come in the last year.

So anyway, that's all I've got tonight. I still need to clean up the kitchen, get ready for bed, do a quick meal plan for the week and hopefully still squeeze in some editing time because I've got clients waiting patiently for their pictures! More about how the business is going next time.

TTFN! ♥

Comments

Rachel said…
Welcome back! I'm so excited to hear about your organized office. I need to do a bit of organizing before Baby T comes. All on the to-do list, right? I'm also proud of you for printing wedding photos! I can't wait to see the beautiful book you make and the progress that you are making. I loved posting parts of it as I finished - then again I'm the kind of person who thrives on the compliments about my crafts. I found that helped me to be motivated and to want to do more.

Popular Posts