3 = a difficult age, apparently

We're having some difficulty with our sweet 3-year-old. Everyone always told me, when I complained of troubles during the "terrible two's," that three was harder. I always thought that was a poor way of encouraging me. Like, "Oh, you think it's tough now! You're only beginning. Just wait till she hits three." How is that supportive? Well, it's not really ... but it's the truth.

Emma has been showing some serious emotion recently. We've had screaming, tantrums, slight punches (like she WANTS to hit but knows it's bad so she just taps), stealing toys, defiance ... and her fears seem to be even stronger now, too. She's always been apprehensive about things (new people, bugs, fuzzies, new foods, new experiences in general) but recently she's seemed terrorized by some of those things.

She's been waking in the middle of the night just terrified. She screams and loses her breath in the middle of trying to call for us and it is scary and sad to us when she makes certain sounds when she can't breathe. And it happens quickly. It's not like she wakes up, is bored, starts fussing and then escalates into yelling. It's all-of-a-sudden, immediate ear-piercing screaming. Definitely jolts us awake. And I'm so grateful for marrying such a great man, who takes his Daddy role very seriously. He is usually the one to bolt out of bed first and runs to her. When this happens, she usually can't articulate what scared her. She just says over and over and over again that she wants to get up, that she doesn't want to be in her bed anymore, that she doesn't want us to leave. Sometimes there are "spiders" on her feet (we check this and of course, there are never any bugs at all).

Last night we spent nearly 45 minutes trying to calm her down and go back to sleep. Her first scream came just before 4 a.m. We are aware that in many child discipline instances we should not respond to her every cry if we want her to develop good sleep habits. But I challenge anyone to experience her night terrors (not sure if they are officially "night terrors" but I'd definitely describe them using those words) and to ignore them. I think she is exhibiting real fear -- not disobedience. And as her parent, it is our job to protect and soothe as much as it is to train in obedience. That doesn't mean we will allow her to get away with everything in the name of comforting her during these moments. We are firm with her when we go in to see her at night. She doesn't get any more books in bed, she doesn't get to get out of bed for snuggles, she doesn't get to come to our room. We calm her (which is NO easy task), answer her questions about the spiders, kiss her, pray with her, remind her that it's not time to get up when the sun is still sleeping, etc.

This doesn't happen all the time. Maybe 1-3 times a week. I just worry that we're not doing the right things to really make her learn to trust that she is safe in her bed and that we will always protect her. I really feel that we need to spend more time in prayer with her. This is definitely something she's struggling with and I really don't think it's just disobedience on her part. I really believe she has fears and they consume her. Maybe I can believe that more easily because I am a person with anxiety myself. I know how easy it can be to succumb to your mind and let it run away with fearful thoughts.

********

Anyway, I'll share more later about the 3-year-old challenges (defiance, unkindness toward her brother). I just turned around and found she put her entire palm onto the stamp pad she was using and now her whole hand is covered in stamping ink. Mess to attend to and time to be done with art. Moving on to the next project!

And of course, I have to note that amidst these challenges, our little munchkin is still overwhelmingly sweet and very perceptive. We know all of these little bumps are normal milestones and we are grateful to have the opportunity to learn how to handle each parenting challenge with grace and wisdom. This is where prayer comes in. I am honored to be moved to pray more for my little girl and to teach her how to pray on her own as well. More soon about all of this ...

Comments

Nikki said…
Oh goodness, I hope it's a phase. I remember what my imagination was like when it was developing. You couldn't tell me any different.
Erin said…
Yes, yes, dear friend we experience many of the same discoveries with the 3 age. I was very discouraged knowing that my 3 year old could seriously injure his sister at any time because of his neglegence and his anger towards her. I was afraid they would never be "friends". But it is just a phase, and although we've moved past (for the most part) these troubles, we've picked up other new habits and things to work through.
Love you and miss you!!
Mandy, Liam and Emery both have gone through the nightmare phase and I vividly remember going through it. From the perspective I had, the nightmare couldn't follow me if I moved so sometimes I would get to sleep on the couch. We don't let our kids switch out too much, but I have learned that ususally taking then potty calms them down and helps them sleep better. It is hard. we also encourage them to say prayers and then remind them that faith needs works. in other words we have to believe that heavenly father will help us. I also for a time would talk to that kids about what they wanted to dream about and tell them to look for me in their dreams that we could have a play date there. I don't know if any of this helps, but having been through it I feel for you.
Amanda said…
Wow, I am way behind on your blog clearly. That sucks, I am sorry. Just when it seems like you should be getting a full night's sleep. It sounds like you've got the right idea though. I *still* vividly remember being terrified of things at night, werewolves, plane crashes, the house burning down, etc. So it has got to be hard. I will be praying that Emma can "lie down and sleep in peace" :)
Leah Johnson said…
Hi Mandy, I was just checking in and reading your update, hope that's okay :) I would like to give you some encouragement about Emma's night terrors. I remember as well when I was very young, maybe 6 years old, of my parents praying over me very strongly before going to bed. I'm talking about rebuking satan in the name of Jesus, telling the enemy he has no place in your home or your daughter's dreams and telling him to leave. Emma doesn't have the power to do this because she's still so young, but you do. Pray against the fear that the enemy is using to terrorize her and trust that the Lord will do the rest. I hope this helps :)

Popular Posts