16-week appointment

Just a quick update, since I'm being so terrible at posting about the pregnancy. We had our 16-week prenatal appointment on Tuesday, Sept. 1. I am up about five pounds but I'm thrilled because I am 6.5 pounds lighter at this stage than I was when I was pregnant with Emma at this same timeframe. Woo-hoo! The baby's heartbeat was 156 BPM and good and strong. We didn't get to see Dr. Webb this time; she's out of the office this whole week. We saw Dr. Hanlon (who was the on-call doctor when I was admitted to the hospital when I was in labor with Emma) and she found the heartbeat really quickly. Emma was sitting on the table with me (she gets nervous in doctors' offices) and Dr. Hanlon said, "Do you hear that? Do you hear your baby? That's your baby!" And by golly (did I just write "by golly?"), Emma did the cutest thing ever. As if she knew exactly what Dr. Hanlon was asking her, she gasped and did her "surprise" face, with her mouth all agape. It was SO PRECIOUS and even Dr. Hanlon said, "Well, that was a PERFECT reaction!"

I'm finally not "gaggy" anymore (I'd say it started to get better around 15 weeks) though maybe once or twice each week the feeling comes back, but only briefly. I'm starting to feel more energetic, although last week I was SO EXHAUSTED I thought we'd reverted back to the first trimester. I've been trying to get ready for bed between 9 and 9:30 p.m. (I've found if I get ready for bed, like take my contacts out and wash my face and all that, I'm more likely to actually GO to bed earlier). So I've been trying to get more consistent with my bedtimes and that has helped. Plus I really like getting up earlier in the mornings and obviously early bedtimes help with that.

Started wearing maternity jeans on Monday, Aug. 31, right at the 16-week mark. My other pants still fit when I'm standing or walking around, but if I have to bend over to pick up a child or sit down anywhere, the waist is really uncomfortable. So James pulled out my tub of maternity clothes for me and glory of all glories I had so forgotten how comfortable maternity pants are. Most of the pants are still a little baggy so I have to hike them up quite often but I much prefer that than the unforgiving waistbands of my non-pregnancy pants. I also borrowed a bunch of pants and shirts from my friend Amanda from church/MOPS (she's Sara's really good friend) and I'm SO THANKFUL. Several of my maternity outfits from my pregnancy with Emma are work clothes and I really don't find button-up blouses and black slacks to be things I like to wear around the house while taking care of a toddler! I may still need to make a few visits to some maternity clothing stores but I'm okay for the time being. Amanda even lent me a tailored black maternity winter coat -- woo-hoo! I never had a maternity coat for my last pregnancy.

Only 19 days left until we find out if this is Emma's little brother or her little sister. My sister-in-law Amy bought the most adorable "Big Sister" shirt for Emma. I tried to find a link to include here to show you how cute it is, but I guess I'll have to take a picture of it. I'll take one of the shirt with ... the coordinating "Little Sister" or "Little Brother" newborn-sized onesie I found yesterday! At the Carter's outlet yesterday I found a "Little Sister" onesie in the exact pattern/colors as the "Big Sister" shirt Amy got for Emma. I had to get it, of course, just in case. Then right before we left I found the "Little Brother" version as well and I picked that up too. When I got home, I realized that those purchases are the first things Baby #2 has gotten as gifts and I'm so surprised. I'm sure by this point with Emma we had tons of things picked out and already hanging in her closet. I'm not sure if this is a good realization for me to have gotten to because of course now I feel like I need to spread the love a little and pick out a few more things for this new little lovebug. (Hmm ... Emma's been our "munchkin" from the get-go, maybe this one's nickname will be lovebug? We'll have to see.)

Anyway, that's what's going on over here in this uterus. Kicking is getting more noticeable, though not as crazy as I thought it'd be by now. Then again, I'm probably comparing it to what I remember from Emma during the brutal last part of the 3rd trimester. Can't wait till Sept. 23! If you haven't voted in the poll yet to tell us whether you think Baby McMahan will be a boy or a girl, you've got less than three weeks to make your decision. :)

Comments

Sheree said…
okay, love that poll! how cute are you? :)

and congrats! making it to the 2nd trimester is always a good feeling. :)

take care, mandy!
Rachel said…
My favorite part of this post:

"Anyway, that's what's going on over here in this uterus."

I can hear you saying that and I'm laughing.
Erin Morgan said…
So the day you get to know the gender of your baby, is the day we get to meet ours!! How exciting to share the date with you!
How cute are you!! I hope that we can get together someday soon :) By the way I have called natalie lovebug for ever and she likes it i refer to her as my little buggie and even at 6 1/2 excuse me 6 3/4 she still giggles!! I can't wait to see what this little buggie is I think its a boy :)please think good thoughts for me Oct 2nd for sunshine!!!!

Popular Posts