39-week appointment
Nope. Not dilated yet. Dr. Webb said I might be 50% effaced, but I'm not dilated at all.
For those of you who aren't sure (like me), both effacement and dilation have to do with the condition of the cervix. Dilation refers to how open the cervix is. When you're at a 10, you're completely ready to push (at least physically...even if not mentally!). Effacement refers to the thickness of the cervix. When you're at a normal thickness, you're at 0%. When you're ready to deliver, you're 100% effaced...essentially your cervix has thinned out to paper-thin. So...I'm halfway thinned out. I'm sure all of you readers (whoever you are) really wanted to know about the condition of my cervix...so there you go.
I did read on the American Pregnancy Association website that in most first-time pregnancies, moms efface before they dilate. I don't know if that means they have to fully efface to 100% BEFORE they start dilating or if you can be at 50% effaced and start dilating. At any rate, at least Dr. Webb could give me SOMETHING to leave with today. SOME progress, even if it is minute.
Speaking of Dr. Webb...she leaves for her week-long (much-needed, I'm sure...I know that woman works hard) vacation on Friday. So, if we want Emma to be delivered by her, we need to start dilating and go into labor PRIOR to Friday. Or after Feb. 2. Yikes. My mom, James' mom and a few others (Miche!) have predicted Jan. 29 as Emma's birthday. That was my Gramma's birthday (after whom Emma is named), so it WOULD be very special. We just wouldn't have Dr. Webb around to help.
I'm not so crabby today as I have been the past couple of days...probably b/c I was up and out of the house for a good portion of the day so far. I don't want to be irritated and consumed with thoughts of going into labor, but it's obviously all I can think about. And I'm not a patient person by nature -- I like to rush things. I like instant gratification and what could be more gratifying than meeting my daughter RIGHT NOW?
I know Emma will get here when she wants to get here. I also know I'll probably be sentimental about her leaving my body and us being separated physically. As uncomfortable as I am right now, knowing myself, I can imagine looking back and remembering what it felt to feel her kick and roll around...missing that. Don't get me wrong -- there are many things I will not miss whatsoever. But knowing she's here with me all the time (without having to tote around a huge diaper bag and heavy carrier) and can feel/hear my heartbeat, my breathing...that's special, isn't it?
Praise God for this gift of life. There is no greater miracle than this and we are so lucky to experience it.
For those of you who aren't sure (like me), both effacement and dilation have to do with the condition of the cervix. Dilation refers to how open the cervix is. When you're at a 10, you're completely ready to push (at least physically...even if not mentally!). Effacement refers to the thickness of the cervix. When you're at a normal thickness, you're at 0%. When you're ready to deliver, you're 100% effaced...essentially your cervix has thinned out to paper-thin. So...I'm halfway thinned out. I'm sure all of you readers (whoever you are) really wanted to know about the condition of my cervix...so there you go.
I did read on the American Pregnancy Association website that in most first-time pregnancies, moms efface before they dilate. I don't know if that means they have to fully efface to 100% BEFORE they start dilating or if you can be at 50% effaced and start dilating. At any rate, at least Dr. Webb could give me SOMETHING to leave with today. SOME progress, even if it is minute.
Speaking of Dr. Webb...she leaves for her week-long (much-needed, I'm sure...I know that woman works hard) vacation on Friday. So, if we want Emma to be delivered by her, we need to start dilating and go into labor PRIOR to Friday. Or after Feb. 2. Yikes. My mom, James' mom and a few others (Miche!) have predicted Jan. 29 as Emma's birthday. That was my Gramma's birthday (after whom Emma is named), so it WOULD be very special. We just wouldn't have Dr. Webb around to help.
I'm not so crabby today as I have been the past couple of days...probably b/c I was up and out of the house for a good portion of the day so far. I don't want to be irritated and consumed with thoughts of going into labor, but it's obviously all I can think about. And I'm not a patient person by nature -- I like to rush things. I like instant gratification and what could be more gratifying than meeting my daughter RIGHT NOW?
I know Emma will get here when she wants to get here. I also know I'll probably be sentimental about her leaving my body and us being separated physically. As uncomfortable as I am right now, knowing myself, I can imagine looking back and remembering what it felt to feel her kick and roll around...missing that. Don't get me wrong -- there are many things I will not miss whatsoever. But knowing she's here with me all the time (without having to tote around a huge diaper bag and heavy carrier) and can feel/hear my heartbeat, my breathing...that's special, isn't it?
Praise God for this gift of life. There is no greater miracle than this and we are so lucky to experience it.

Comments
Wishing you the best of luck with the labor, it'll be over before you know and it and you'll be holding your brand-new daughter you've waited for so long...and you'll feel so COMPLETE.
You are in my prayers and I'll be thinking of you!
-Sarah